India is basically an agricultural country which economy depends largely upon its agrarian produce. Agricultural sphere contributes about 25% to the country’s GDP. As a result, Indian fertilizer industry has tremendous scope in and outside the country as it is one of the allied parts of agriculture.
Today, Indian Fertilizer Industry is developing in terms of technology. Indian manufacturers are adopting advanced manufacturing processes to prepare innovative new products for Indian agriculture. India has entitled as the third largest producer and exporter of nitrogenous fertilizer.
Growth of Fertilizer Industry in India
Fertilizer industry in India is meeting all the requirements of agricultural industry since the time of its inception in 1906. The first plant for fertilizers manufacture was set up in the same year in Ranipet, Chennai. Then established the first two large-sized fertilizer plants, one was the Fertilizer & Chemicals Tranvancore of India Ltd. (FACT) in Cochin, Kerala, and the another one was Fertilizers Corporation of India (FCI) in Sindri, Bihar. These two were established as pedestal fertilizer units to have self sufficiency in the production of foodgrains. Afterwards, the industry gained impetus in its growth due to green revolution in late sixties, followed by seventies and eighties when fertilizer industry witnessed an incredible boom in the fertilizer production.
The tremendous demand of fertilizers has led the country to invest huge in the public, co-operative and in private sectors. At present, India has more than 57 large sized plants of fertilizers, manufacturing wide assortment of fertilizers including nitrogenous, phosphatic, Ammonium Sulphate (AS), Calcium Ammonium Nitrate (CAN) urea, DAP and complex fertilizers. Apart from it, there are other 64 small and medium scale Indian manufacturers producing fertilizers.
Here is the list of some public sector Indian fertilizer industries;
– Madras Fertilizers Limited
– National Fertilizers Limited
– Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation Limited
– Steel Authority Of India Limited
– Fertilizers & Chemicals Travancore Limited
– Rashtriya Chemicals &Fertilizers Limited
– Paradeep Phosphates Limited
– Pyrites, Phosphates & Chemicals Limited
– Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited
Some of the major private sector fertilizer companies in India are:
– Balaji Fertilizers Private Limited
– Ajay Farm-Chem Private Limited
– Chambal Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited
– Bharat Fertilizer Industries Limited
– Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizer Co. Limited
– Southern PetroChemical Industries Corporation Limited
– Godavari Fertilizers & Chemical Limited
– Shri Amba Fertilizers (I) Private Limited
– Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited
– Maharashtra Agro Industrial Development Corporation
– Mangalore Chemicals & Fertilizers Limited
The speedy growth in the fertilizers production is swaying the Indian manufacturers to transform into Indian exporters, and helping them create a long lasting impression on global consumers.